11-Nights Classic Antarctica (2018-2019) - Luxury Expedition Cruises
Embark on an award-winning Luxury Expedition Cruise for the centerpiece of the Southern Hemisphere - extraordinary Antarctica - discovering towering icebergs, impressive glaciers and wildlife in abundance.
- Cruise for 10 nights aboard luxurious 'Le Lyrial' with guaranteed outside balcony accommodations for all guests, only when exclusively chartered by A&K
- Begin your journey with a stay at the luxurious Palacio Duhau - Park Hyatt on beautiful Alvear Avenue in Buenos Aires
- Travel with A&K's renowned Expedition Team, featuring passionate scientists that include an ornithologist, marine biologist and geologist, all deeply familiar with Antarctica
- Discover some of the world's rarest wildlife and terrain on included excursions led by the region's best guides
- Learn about Antarctica's changing environment and efforts to conserve it
- Gain a deep understanding of the region with enriching lectures by award-winning A&K experts, including historians, professional photographers and recipients of the Polar Medal
- Experience the benefits of all-inclusive cruising with onboard gratuities, unlimited house drinks, gear, and all excursions, Zodiac rides, and port charges included on your voyage
- Take advantage of convenient A&K charter flights to and from Ushuaia
- Enjoy additional programming on our January 6 departure, which features an A&K Philanthropy focus on Understanding Climate Change with special guest lecturer and noted scientist Dr. James McClintock
11 nights from $11995 per person
Supplier: Abercrombie & Kent
Dynamic and bustling, a city which seems never to sleep, Buenos Aires is one of the most exciting cities in Latin America. Tango was born here, restaurants serve an all manner of world cuisine, bars play the latest music, cafés spill on to the streets and nightclubs allow dancing throughout the night. Cultural hub of a society which traces its roots to European immigration, it is famous throughout South America for its theatres, museums and galleries. Gucci, Armani, Prada, to name a few, line the boulevards catering for the fashion conscious porteños, their offerings as stylish as anything found in the cities in Europe or North America.
The world's southernmost city, Ushuaia overlooks Beagle Channel, named after the ship that took Charles Darwin to the bottom of the world. Founded just over one hundred years ago, this rustic town is situated amidst incredible snowcapped mountains, dramatic waterfalls, massive glaciers, and a forest known for its red foliage. Tierra del Fuego, the "Land of Fire," twelve miles to the west of Ushuaia, is known for its glacial landscape and its national park, which is a bird-watcher's paradise.
If the thought of an Antarctic cruise holiday makes your teeth chatter, you might be surprised to know that, during the November-to-March season, temperatures usually range between twenty degrees and forty-five degrees Fahrenheit. Highs in the fifties are not uncommon. As a rule, the Falkland Islands are a bit warmer, with average highs in the fifties and lows in the forties to high thirties. Weather on South Georgia Island is harder to predict. Its rugged topography makes for highly changeable weather patterns, with dull rain followed by fine sunny days. Tie your hat on! Sudden, intense katabatic winds and short-lived squalls known locally as "williwaws" are a fact of life on South Georgia. What will you see on your Antarctic journey? Sights change rapidly during the austral summer season. Local flora and fauna must pack a lot of living into these few warm months, so each cruise departure is, in effect, travelling to a different Antarctica, Falklands, or South Georgia Island. November to early December offers the spectacular courtship rituals of penguins and seabirds, wildflowers on the Falklands and South Georgia, and the highest level of research activity. Mid-December to January see the emergence of penguin chicks and seal pups, escalating whale sightings, and longer days creating incredible light conditions for photography. February to March bring whale sightings at their best, blooming snow algae, and increasingly numerous fur seals on the Antarctic Peninsula. Though it isn't a passive destination, rest assured that travel to the Deep South doesn't require great physical exertion or feats of special fitness.
The Drake Passage is the body of water between the southern tip of South America at Cape Horn and Antarctica. It forms part of the Southern Ocean. It is named after 16th century English explorer Sir Francis Drake.
Valid Travel Dates
Please click here for a description of the travel style options provided by A&K.
- Internal Air: Buenos Aires/Ushuaia/Buenos Aires (Economy from: $850)
- This journey contains some active elements and is subject to change based on weather, wildlife, ice and other conditions beyond A&K's control. The final itinerary will be determined at the sole discretion of the Captain and Expedition Leader.
- Minimum age is 10 years
- First group event: afternoon city tour on Day 1.
- Last group event: disembarkation in Ushuaia at 9:00 a.m. on Day 12.
- Suite categories 4-9 include butler service on board 'Le Lyrial' and suite accommodations at the Palacio-Duhau - Park Hyatt Buenos Aires.
January 6-17, 2019 departure | Understanding Climate Change: Sail the January 6 departure of Classic Antarctica for special programming and an A&K Philanthropy focus on our changing planet, joined by noted scientist Dr. James McClintock.
Reference this number when contacting our agency so we may better serve you. Also keeping this number handy will allow you to locate this document again quickly.
610 W. Germantown Pike
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
Information and pricing is subject to change without notice. While we do our very best to ensure that information and pricing appearing in this website is complete and accurate, we cannot be responsible for incomplete and inaccurate representations, which may or may not be under our control. In the event of a pricing error, misrepresentation or omission, we reserve the right to adjust the pricing or make any other corrections.